Lindheimer House – 1845
Built by New Braunfels’ most notable citizen, Ferdinand Jacob Lindheimer, this distinct structure was the first restoration project taken on by the NBCS. It was built in the “saltbox” style, a design favored by German immigrants. The roof in the back slopes lower than the roof in the front. Rather than a full second story, the house features a loft, and a central chimney provided heat. Lindheimer was recognized as the Father of Texas Botany for discovering several hundred plant species. He also served as guide for German settlers, and was the first editor of the Die Neu Branfels Zeitung (newspaper) in 1852.