Our History

German LogoThe Conservation Society was founded in 1964 to save the Lindheimer house–one of New Braunfels’ historic homes. As IH-35 corridor developed through the community, the Conservation Society raised funds to save and move notable structures onto our 3.5-acre village. Over the years, our mission has grown to preserve and promote the history and heritage of New Braunfels, a mission that continues today.

1845 – Founding of New Braunfels

1960 – IH35 and creation of Canyon Lake sparked growth and threatened loss of historic buildings

1964 – Forming of the Conservation Society

1967 – Complete restoration of first project–the Lindheimer House

1972 – Bill and Nan Dillen donated 3.5 acres for creation of Conservation Plaza for relocation of other old buildings

1972 – Relocation of Spiva-Welsch Barn

1972 – Relocation of Forke Store

1972 – Relocation of Star Exchange and Billiard Room

1975 – Acquisition of Church Hill School

1980 – Relocation of Jahn Cabinet Shop

1981 – Reassembly of Baetge House

1984 – Relocation of Jahn House

1985 – Relocation of Haelbig Music Studio

1989 – Relocation of Lohse-Fischer House

1990 – Construction of Pavilion and Bandstand

1999 – Acquisition of the 1907 REO

2002 – Relocation of Scholl-Peters House

2003 – Relocation of Moehrig-Blank House

2004 – Relocation of Werner-Sacco House

2004 – Relocation of Locksted-Seibold House

2005 – Relocation of Freiheit School

2009 – Relocation of Linnartz Barn

2010 – Restoration of Pfeiffer pipe organ