Spiva-Welsch Barn-1849

The oldest structure in our village, this 65-foot barn was moved in one piece in 1972. The building encloses three cabins under a common roof: one cabin was a family dwelling; the middle cabin was used to store tools and supplies; and the last cabin served as a corncrib. This barn offers many interesting building techniques, such as the beams joined with wooden pegs, the hole above the gate used to support the swinging gate, and the narrow slits covered by slats on rawhide hinges to let in light and air. Implements on display include a metal lathe, grist stones, and a molasses press.